Unusual Bergen Console

reggaepass at aol.com reggaepass at aol.com
Sat Sep 20 18:18:01 MDT 2008

Hi Ginny,

Decades ago, when I was first starting out in this business, I tuned a console that fits the description you give.? Couldn't say whether or not it was a Bergen.? The tuning pins being vertical is?an ergonomic plus for the tuner.? However, any advantage gained from this is far outweighed by the incredible tension created as the string bends 90 degrees from parallel to the sound board to perpendicular to it, bearing against a vast expanse of the plate in the process.? The rendering was awful.? One of the most stubborn pianos I have ever tuned.? As to age, this particular one looked fairly new back around 1980 or so.?

Good luck,

Alan Eder