Petrof 7'-0" Versus Kawai RX-6 (7'-0")

Bruce Dornfeld bdornfeld at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 20 15:36:32 MDT 2008

I have worked on many Petrof pianos and would add a few observations.  Petrofs have been imported from Prague for many years now.  Early Petrofs show Czechoslovakia, later ones the Czech Republic as country of origin.  The quality of the pianos improved a lot over the years.  I would not make a recommendation about a new Petrof from experience with older models.  Geneva International was until recently the only legal distributor of Petrofs in the USA.  Joe Swenson, when he was their head of technical services, visited the factory frequently.  Not long after the fall of the iron curtain he noticed such improvements in the pianos that he asked the factory workers about why.  After consulting each other in Czech, they laughingly told Joe in English, "We could be fired now."  They have had a R&D department which has taught classes about their research at PTG seminars and technical institutes.

If I recall, the new 7' Petrof was called the Passat.  It had not only a new scale, but is the only Petrof I've seen with all individually tied (looped) tenor and treble strings.  It was a very impressive looking and sounding piano.  I won't try to compare with the Kawai; both are excellent pianos, the Kawai is a better known commodity.

One thing I always recommend for Petrofs and most European pianos is a complete Dampp-Chaser system.  If your climate is anything like here in Chicago, the Petrof will suffer from it more than the Kawai.

I would also make sure of the source of the warranty of the Petrof.  Geneva International was involved in a legal battle over distribution rights for the Petrof in the USA.  Geneva has since closed their doors.  I do not think they will handle warranty claims in the future.  Currently the importer is Petrof U.S.A., LLC.  Paul Rea is listed as the contact, their address is in Liburn, Georgia.  The website is www.petrof.com and email: petrofpianosusa.com.  If the dealer bought the piano from Geneva, will the warranty be honored?

For my money, the Petrof is a great piano and value.  I would let the buyer choose by playing, the tone and touch of the Petrof and the Kawai are different enough for this to be a big factor.

Bruce Dornfeld, RPT
bdornfeld at earthlink.net
North Shore Chapter