Piano Took a Fall- Won't Hold Tune

Mike Kurta mkurta1 at comcast.net
Tue Sep 16 08:05:42 MDT 2008

    One of the P22's I serviced at Syracuse University fell over on an
instructor and broke his ankle.  He also grabbed it at the top and pulled to
the rear and bingo!  However it was not all his fault.  Careful inspection
showed a screw holding the caster plate to the frame of the piano had worked
loose and prevented the caster from rotating.  Even though the piano was on
carpeting, this was a major factor.  After that, we upended every vertical
in the building and found others starting to do the same.  With students
already moving pianos around, rippling carpet and high door sills, we don't
need more hazards.....
    Mike Kurta
    Chicago chapter