Piano Took a Fall- Won't Hold Tune

Ron Overs sec at overspianos.com.au
Tue Sep 16 07:17:58 MDT 2008

>A year or so ago, a prof I know grabbed the top of a Wurlitzer
>studio during a class and, as he walked around it, attempted to spin
>it to face another direction. It worked. As the piano lay facing the
>ceiling, and the building quit shaking, he realized how close it
>came to landing on his foot. Now, he pays closer attention - not to
>keeping his feet clear, but to keeping the casters on the floor.
>Ron N

My first year as a piano technician (1975) was spent at Elvys in
Sydney. One of our very fine technicians (Loui Piaggio, who wasn't a
tuner) had an upright piano fall down right on his feet the year
before I started. He spent months in hospital recovering. When I knew
Loui he always walked like a duck, and lived on a diet of pain
killers. He retired to Italy and last I heard he got cancer. I'd like
to know how he ended up. He was a wonderful fellow and an absolute
perfectionist woodworker and technician. I can still hear Loui's
exasperated calls around the workshop - in my head. When one of us
would do something which he considered a bit ordinary he'd say "Hey,
vot you do?"

Ron O.
--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY