Piano Took a Fall- Won't Hold Tune

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Sep 16 06:45:29 MDT 2008

> Back at UA, we had three tall Boston studio's, (121's I think), that
> were very unstable on their small steel casters. I removed them, and
> installed larger double wide rubber casters, which made the pianos a
> little more stable. But to be sure, I sent an e-maill to all the faculty
> to warn them not to push the pianos from the top, but to grab them by
> the handles in the back. We never had one fall over.
>
> Wim

A year or so ago, a prof I know grabbed the top of a Wurlitzer
studio during a class and, as he walked around it, attempted
to spin it to face another direction. It worked. As the piano
lay facing the ceiling, and the building quit shaking, he
realized how close it came to landing on his foot. Now, he
pays closer attention - not to keeping his feet clear, but to
keeping the casters on the floor.
Ron N