Propping up side-hinged lid

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 11 16:14:23 MDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 11:07 PM, David Nereson <dnereson at 4dv.net> wrote:

>  Despite all the suggestions of using a pedal rod as a prop, I think it's
> too dangerous to have the lid propped that high in the air.  I carry a small
> punch and vise grips and remove the hinge pin so I can just take the lid off
> and out of the way.  It only takes 10 or 15 seconds.  If the hinge pin comes
> out towards the wall instead of towards me, I move the piano from the wall,
> take out the pin, shove the piano back, and put the pin back in from the
> front when I'm done.
>     --David Nereson, RPT

I have to second David's words. Although I find the side hinged pianos to be
the epitomy of idiocy in piano design or did until I saw what the
Baldwin(redneck) piano company is doing to many of their grands, but
I digress.
I would just as soon not have my valuable hands, arms and possibly head
inside the piano with the lid precariously balanced on a broomstick,
threaded rod designed for a lesser purpose, pedal rods or heaven forbid, a
yardstick. One particularly tight pin, a heavy truck going by or a small
child running into the piano could too easily dislodge it and damage
me and/or the piano.

Mike
--
I feel sorry for the person who can't get genuinely excited about his work.
Not only will he never be satisfied, but he will never achieve anything

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404
www.IFixPianos.com