Propping up side-hinged lid

David Nereson dnereson at 4dv.net
Mon Sep 8 22:07:42 MDT 2008

Despite all the suggestions of using a pedal rod as a prop, I think it's too dangerous to have the lid propped that high in the air.  I carry a small punch and vise grips and remove the hinge pin so I can just take the lid off and out of the way.  It only takes 10 or 15 seconds.  If the hinge pin comes out towards the wall instead of towards me, I move the piano from the wall, take out the pin, shove the piano back, and put the pin back in from the front when I'm done.
    --David Nereson, RPT