reducing hammer weight

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Wed Sep 10 23:01:46 MDT 2008

At 23:10 -0400 10/9/08, erwinspiano at aol.com wrote:

>Perhaps I'm misssing something in the staples dept when it come to
>muggier climate but I just do not concieve of how they help except
>in the mental reassurance dept.  Ya know? I've installed dozens o
>sets with out staples Nary an exploded hammer.  It's the glue
>...It's the glue.

I'm sure you're right, Dale, and by chance I'm just ordering a set of
upright hammers from Abel without staples or T-rivets.  It'll be
interesting so see if they protest.  There was a time (years ago)
when their glue was really not up to the job and I had one set come
apart all through the bass and the tenor after a short time in a damp
environment.  I can't imagine I was the only customer this happened
to and they will have changed by now.  If they protest, I'll know
they don't trust their glue!

Anyone who has tried to wrap hamer felt round a moulding will know
the superhuman force required.  A child can pull out a staple with a
small pair of pliers.

JD