reducing hammer weight

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Sep 9 19:13:39 MDT 2008

> Ron:
>
> I've been tapering all my hammers on a table saw for 20 plus years and have
> never had a hammer explode.  Am I just lucky?  What am I missing here?
>
> Will Truitt

You're missing the staples, apparently. The photo below shows
the two possibilities. Either the staple is benignly sheared
off flush, or catches in the blade and makes both the saw and
the operator jump six inches as the hammer explodes with a
resounding WHANGO!!!.

> P. S.  I took a bunch of pictures of my hammer tapering jig for mounted
> hammers today in the shop.  As soon as I can figure out the protocol of
> mailing them to the forum, I will send them - hopefully tonight.

Either size them down, or send them to files at ptg.org with text
saying it's for Pianotech.
Ron N