reducing hammer weight

erwinspiano at aol.com erwinspiano at aol.com
Wed Sep 10 19:38:14 MDT 2008

?Ron
? I know you love simple solution so This hammer can be ordered with out staples. I never have the staples installed.? If the glue won't do it then the staple won't either. It's less obastacles to avoid when doing any hammer prep. Staples are another wives tale &?myth. JMO.
? Dale

> Ron:?
> > I've been tapering all my hammers on a table saw for 20 plus years and have?
> never had a hammer explode. Am I just lucky? What am I missing here??
> > Will Truitt?
?
You're missing the staples, apparently. The photo below shows the two possibilities. Either the staple is benignly sheared off flush, or catches in the blade and makes both the saw and the operator jump six inches as the hammer explodes with a resounding WHANGO!!!.?
?
> P. S. I took a bunch of pictures of my hammer tapering jig for mounted?
> hammers today in the shop. As soon as I can figure out the protocol of?
> mailing them to the forum, I will send them - hopefully tonight.?
?
Either size them down, or send them to files at ptg.org with text saying it's for Pianotech.?
Ron N?

[Image Removed]