Carbon fiber durability

Mark Schecter mark at schecterpiano.com
Sat Sep 6 13:48:58 MDT 2008

Hi, all.

Thinking about changing to a carbon fiber tuning lever, I'm wondering
about some concerns raised in the bicycle industry about CF's
vulnerability to impact damage. Specifically, when a CF tube is dinged
or crimped, its structural integrity, i.e. its strength and durability,
are compromised, and it's considered unrepairable.  Of course, a bicycle
crash probably involves a lot higher forces than banging your tuning
hammer against a plate strut, but still, does anybody have any idea
whether CF hammers are vulnerable to dings, crushing, fatigue, or other
kinds of damage or forces likely to be sustained in our work? Has
anybody had any experience with the CF hammer they are using being
damaged? Thanks.

-Mark Schecter