grand hinge to rim screws stripped

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 5 11:29:38 MDT 2008

On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 6:44 PM, Jessica Masse <ebonyandivory at on.aibn.com>wrote:

>  Hi,
>
> Besides drilling and plugging the rim, does anyone have a better way of
> repairing the hinge screws on a grand piano?  This piano is moved several
> times a year and the rim is less than 3/4 inch thick.
>

> Jessica Masse
>
> RPT Piano Technicians Guild

Hi Jessica,

Isaac you took the words right out of my mouth, shoe pegs, check with shoe
repair shops in your area. I bought a pound of them about 30 years ago and
still have more than half of them left. If you can't find them there get
them from Schaff. They are made from hard white maple, and with a little
titebond added will fix any stripped out screw you may run across on a piano
except perhaps a plate screw.

Mike

--
I feel sorry for the person who can't get genuinely excited about his work.
Not only will he never be satisfied, but he will never achieve anything

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404
www.IFixPianos.com