New Steinway Hammers was---hammer thickness trimming jig

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Wed Sep 3 15:20:15 MDT 2008

>From C6 up I just soak it straight over the top and usually two
applications-I start with that section and then soak it again when I'm done
with the other section, I don't necessarily let it dry first.

Below C6 I apply to the shoulders just slightly above 9:00 and 3:00 and let
it creep toward the strike point.  As I go lower and lower in the tenor I
try to graduate the creep slightly so that by the time I get to the lowest
note in the tenor I don't let it creep quite all the way to the strike point
during the application process (it seems to get there eventually anyway).
Reason being that the low tenor on most Steinways is often kind of honky and
I don't want too much lacquer near the strike point.  If it goes there not a
big deal with the strength that I'm using, just needle it out or put a
couple of drops of pure acetone on the crown after the application.  Going
into the bass I allow it to creep again to the strike point for the bi
chords and just soak it over the top on the monochords.  That's usually
enough.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com