New Steinway Hammers was---hammer thickness trimming jig

reggaepass at aol.com reggaepass at aol.com
Wed Sep 3 16:13:19 MDT 2008

David,

Thanks--mucho appreciado!

Alan

-----Original Message-----
From: David Love <davidlovepianos at comcast.net>
To: 'Pianotech List' <pianotech at ptg.org>
Sent: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 2:20 pm
Subject: RE: New Steinway Hammers  was---hammer thickness trimming jig

>From C6 up I just soak it straight over
the top and usually two applications—I start with that section and then
soak it again when I’m done with the other section, I don’t
necessarily let it dry first.

Below C6 I apply to the shoulders just
slightly above 9:00 and 3:00 and let it creep toward the strike point.  As I go lower and
lower in the tenor I try to graduate the creep slightly so that by the time I
get to the lowest note in the tenor I don’t let it creep quite all the
way to the strike point during the application process (it seems to get there
eventually anyway).  Reason being that the low tenor on most Steinways is often
kind of honky and I don’t want too much lacquer near the strike point.
If it goes there not a big deal with the strength that I’m using, just
needle it out or put a couple of drops of pure acetone on the crown after the
application.  Going into the bass I allow it to creep again to the strike
point for the bi chords and just soak it over the top on the monochords.
That’s usually enough.

David Love

davidlovepianos at comcast.net

www.davidlovepianos.com