Yamaha Hammers in Steinway "O" was RE: New Steinway Hammers was---hammer thickness

cclpianos at aol.com cclpianos at aol.com
Tue Sep 2 06:12:16 MDT 2008

Message: 8
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2008 21:15:25 -0700
From: "David Ilvedson" <ilvey at sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: New Steinway Hammers  was---hammer thickness trimming jig
To: pianotech at ptg.org

Hi David,

Yes, they were awesome. Now mind you eveyone's attitude toward a "perfect" tone differs.

But having rebuilt many SW's in my life I know the frustration many techs feel after installing a fluffy hammer.

In the past, I used sanding sealer for my SW hammers instead of lacquer. Sanding sealer is lacquer with an additive, Stearate.

The stearate makes the lacquer brittle and will break down over time. It also can be reverse voiced unlike straight lacquer.

As for the Yamaha hammers, I would say they bring out the best of the bass and crisp up the treble quite nicely. Clarity comes to mind.

They have been the best "out of the box" hammer I have ever used. They are also one of the easiest hammers to voice.

My technique, uhh, well, aside from using my ears, having satisfied some of the best ears in the music industry

is none other than good old fashioned filing, string voicing, and hammer alignment. I shade the

the differences starting with the softest hammer and working outward. My needling tends to be very deep on the shoulders

and shallow around the strike points.

Patrick

I'd be interested in your voicing technique for the those Y
amaha hammers...were
they great right out of the box?

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA  94044