VS profelt?

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 07:49:24 MDT 2008

On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 12:05 AM, Diane Hofstetter
<dianepianotuner at msn.com>wrote:

> Well, I got myself a bottle, but no instructions on how to use--put drops
> on felt?--soak it? Install cauls, wait until dry?
>
> I also started wondering about other uses.  Just about to steam the wippen
> cushion heels--what about wire brushing and soaking with VS profelt?
>
> Center pins? Voicing?
>
> Does anyone know what the solution does to felt?
>
> Thanks for any enlightenment!

I used it for the first time yesterday to hopefully renew some front rail
bushings.  What I did was soak the felt, then put in the cauls.  However, it
required a drop on the top part of the bushing first. After that soaked in,
more solution could be applied without the initial waiting to soak in. (Sort
of like if you have a high water to alcohol solution to remove bushings -- a
drop will bead up on the bushing until it works its way in.)

Checking last night, all the bushings looked really good.  How long they
will remain thus until the cupping is back is what I'll be interested in
knowing.

If you find out anything from Bob M., do let us know.

--
JF