The finite life of wood grain

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Wed Oct 22 03:38:13 MDT 2008

Well of course you are the one who is correct here Thumpy. And for the
record... just about everyones opinion gets ridiculed here by someone or
another... but there is not much to do about that now is there.

Old wood that is in good shape can of course be re-used in SB
construction in a variety of ways and is in fact done so by competent
folks around the globe all the time. Those that deny this either have a
very narrow idea of what good sound is all about or some other such
limiting opinion about the meaning of life or some such thing :)

Cheers
RicB

    We've been through this again and again and again on this list, and
    my opinion ( which will be ridiculed by some here, but I have no
    interest in further defending ) is that old wood that has been in
    decent ( reasonably clean, dry ) environments is acoustically
    superior.  ( As in: "Rich" and "Warm" sounding.)  But this superior
    resonance can not be expressed, when the crown has imploded.  I'm
    doing my first full soundboard recrowning according to a  new method
    ( not yet discussed here ) and may report the results.

    Euphonious Thumpe