The finite life of wood grain

erwinspiano at aol.com erwinspiano at aol.com
Wed Oct 22 02:54:09 MDT 2008

Well I guess I have? a limited opinion about the meaning of life. Whatever.
? But/Or perhaps from a practical business related view & not from a hobby horse one it just isn't as economical to do recrowning or reuse old wood on a new rib set for many reasons and & it can not be used in a compression crowned belly as most were originally with confidence.
? ?I guess the intended usage & tonal expectation ?would be determined by you anticipated outcome. I've actually spoke with a tech in Chicago that put in about 25 full length shims in an all dried out board?to gain some new crown. He did, But he didn't like it doing it, as he was concerned about longevity & his reputation. Rightly so. It's still compression crowning old wood.
?? Respectfully I've yet to hear any of you proponents of this idea ?actually do it, make money at it?or provide one testimonial from a?known rebuilder who has.
?SO,By the way I?have actually have done this.? A new rib set on an old upright panel. The only reason it worked was becasue the piano was literally falling apart & the ribs & soundboard virtually fell out of the piano. Bridge came off. All the useual obstacles fell out of the way. Piano sounds ok. Not stellar. Client likes it and it was an appropriate repair under the circumstances. In this case...I didn't loose money
Poor horse
? Dale
?

?
Old wood that is in good shape can of course be re-used in SB construction in a variety of ways and is in fact done so by competent folks around the globe all the time. Those that deny this either have a very narrow idea of what good sound is all about or some other such limiting opinion about the meaning of life or some such thing :)?
?
Cheers?
RicB?
?
? We've been through this again and again and again on this list, and?
? my opinion ( which will be ridiculed by some here, but I have no?
? interest in further defending ) is that old wood that has been in?
? decent ( reasonably clean, dry ) environments is acoustically?
? superior. ( As in: "Rich" and "Warm" sounding.) But this superior?
? resonance can not be expressed, when the crown has imploded. I'm?
? doing my first full soundboard recrowning according to a new method?
? ( not yet discussed here ) and may report the results.?
? ?
? Euphonious Thumpe?
?