breaking loops

Marcel Carey mcpianos at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 30 03:54:16 MST 2008

Hi Ric,

I've had this happen to me recently, except the strings didn't break when I raised the pitch, but in the middle of the night. I had one break just the day before the piano was going back to the college (major cause of getting very upset and practice of knot tying with bass string). And then the college called me back to let me know that another string was broken. I contacted the string maker and he told me he had gone a little too close to the breaking point to get better tone. He sent me back 4 strings since he re-evaluated his scaling and found out only these 2 unisons were too close to the limit.

But, this is a major upset and setback for me. First, for the client, I'm the one that did the string replacement and I'ts my responsability. Second, the price of string is almost nothing compared to the price of the trip back to the customer to replace the strings  and then the going back and forth to get them stabilized to pitch.

I guess nothing is perfect...

Marcel Carey, RPT
Sherbrooke, QC