breaking loops

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Sun Mar 30 21:06:10 MST 2008

On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 11:13:23 +0100 Ric Brekne wrote:

>  Speaking of breaking loops...
>
>  The last few sets I've ordered from a supplier over here seem plagued by
>  breaking hitch loops as I pull them up to tension.  These are French
>  loops and I havent had the same problem before with any other supplier
>  or with other types of loops.  I'm wondering what it is a bass string
>  maker can possibly do that would cause an increase in loop failure..

Supposing that the eyes are breaking at the point shown in Ron
Nossaman's picture, then the first cause is excessive tension.
Presuming that the strings are at proper tensions (and they ought to
check this and refuse to make them if they are) then there are other
possible reasons:

2. They have been using wire that is too hard and brittle.  However,
when this is the case, at least with my set-up, the wire is likely to
break when the eye is being made and not necessarily at that point --
more likely in the spiral windings.  I have never had this problem
with R wire but know it can happen with wire from another German
maker whose wire I tried for a brief period.

3. They have changed the hook on the eye-winder and it hasn't the
right profile.    The hook needs to have a raindrop-shaped
cross-section; if it is round then the wire is excessively stressed
at the point where the spiral windings begin.  I have used the same
home-shaped hook for years and had no problems at all but if ever I
had to change or make another one I know I'd need to test it very
carefully before producing strings for customers.

4. They have changed the hook (which is circular) on the
string-making machine to a smaller diameter in relation to the size
of the eye-making hook.  I have never experienced this myself but can
imagine it as a possible cause.

5.  They are winding too tight a spiral.  Although this will not
necessarily lead to breakages, provided the wire and everything else
is OK, it can happen.  I use a fixed number of turns for a given wire
size and eye-length.

At 16:42 -0700 30/3/08, Jurgen Goering wrote:

>I have it from the horse's mouth that loops can be weaker if they
>are made very quickly.

6.  I think this may be so.  I wind the eyes at slightly over 2 turns
per second, which is steady and not fast.  Perhaps he has a new man
making the eyes.

Whatever the reason, or combination of reasons, is causing this, your
stringmaker needs to put something right pretty quick or he will lose
a lot of goodwill, time and copper.  I sympathize with him and am
thankful I've not had such a problem myself.

JD