Epoxy for separated pinblock, or Titebond (I,II or III) ???

John Ross jrpiano at win.eastlink.ca
Sat Mar 29 12:08:11 MST 2008

I am tempted to believe that the block was not pulled together before the
bolts were added. I have never seen one I repaired come apart again.
I use carriage bolts, and intentionally imbed them in the wood, then they
don't turn. I have just used regular glue.
The bolts would not 'stretch', they would break, if the tension were too
much. Especially 1/2".
The person was probably just using the bolts, to pull it together, or just
make sure it didn't get worse.
Clamps should definitely be used to close the gap, before the holes are
drilled.
Just as a matter of interest, how far down in pitch was the piano?
John Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
jrpiano at win.eastlink.ca