more trouble than it's worth (was tune, chip with oversized pins?)

Fenton Murray fmurray at cruzio.com
Mon Mar 24 20:57:12 MST 2008

Daniel,
I can't help but jump in here. I been there, done that. I know what it's like to try to put a plan together and then get WAY too much information on the subject. You mentioned before the piano was rebuilt 20-30 years ago. Did they replace the block or not. If the piano has 4/0 pins, lots of ways to tell, then they probably restrung a bad block with oversized pins which is why they are now loose and why repining will do no good. If the piano has 2/0s maybe they replaced the block and just drilled the pin holes a little too large. If it's a grand take a look and see if it looks like a replacement block underneath. Just trying to help you do a little detective work which is a good way to approach these things. I know there are those who do what you suggest, I even remember a fairly recent PTJ article on the subject, but no way would I approach the job as a re-pin. Only 2 ways to go. The no risk, tiny investment, treat the symptom, not the problem C/A approach. Or rebuild the piano properly. As far as how to estimate a job like this, if your fairly new to this work I'd suggest taking your hourly wage and multiplying it by the number of hours a reputable shop would charge. Maybe 20 for a restring, 10 for a block plus materials, you get the idea. You'll spend way more time than that, but I don't think you should charge for those hours. I that old block is splitting and you drive in big pins, you gonna make things even worse and have a big old mess on your hands. Ask me how I know. I've seen uprights with the plate out that looked like they had a perfectly intact block, but that could not provide sufficient pin torque and needed a new block. There's just know way to really know. Well, I guess you could start replacing the absolute worst pins first to see how they do, probably be in the low tenor or bass, just kidding man, don't do it.
Fenton