more trouble than it's worth (was tune, chip with oversized pins?)

Willem Blees wimblees at aol.com
Mon Mar 24 19:56:33 MST 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: daniel carlton <hacicspe at gmail.com>
Sent: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 8:27 am
Subject: more trouble than it's worth (was tune, chip with oversized pins?)

hi guys

thanks for the input.

?

I don't get the question exactly.? Are you replacing tuning pins without restringing?? The whole set?

?

yes, the whole set,?without restringing.

?

...damper adjustments.?etc. Speaking of which, you should remove the dampers when repinning, especially in the bass.

?

i didn't want to get into dampers. i still at the point where i don't like them. uh but i guess if i'm to do the job i have no choice. at this point, the owner might as well replace the block. i guess she had it "rebuilt" 20-30 years ago. she called it rebuilt, but it might have just been a refurbish?without a new block?because the pins are so loose.

?

these are the jobs that are frustrating to me, because it's always "well if you're going to do this, you might as well do that, and if you're going to do that, then you might as well do this." i think it's the stress of not knowing how much to estimate.

?

anyway...

?

daniel

Daniel

I don't think it's so much not knowing how to give an estimate,?as?it is not knowing what effect doing one thing has on another. But that comes?with experience. That's why asking advice on this list is important.?You found out that just replacing the pins might not be in the your best interest, and thus not in the best interest of the customer.

So far you've learned that it will be easier for you to CA the block. But if you're going to repin, you might want to consider replacing the strings,the block,?and the damper felts. The first will take?a couple of hours of work. The latter a week.?So the question is, is the customer only willing to pay you to CA the block, or is the customer willing to pay, and are you able to, replace the block, etc.?And is the piano worth this investment???

Willem.