balance hole reamer?

William R. Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Tue Mar 18 17:16:43 MST 2008

Bill,

I think it was indeed proper nomenclature originally.  The tool Holly was
speaking of is indeed for removing excess wood.  It is not for enlarging the
balance rail hole, however, it is for decreasing the thickness of the key
bottom around the balance rail hole.  Picture a cylinder that is very tall,
that is the balance rail hole.  This tool shortens that cylinder while
keeping the diameter the same.  Avoiding the balance rail pin from binding,
or, running into the sides of the cylinder when the key moves up and down.

Mmmmm, just reread the original post.  I guess I might not be sure which
tool Holley is speaking of.  I guess we could be talking about either tool
given the wording of the original post.

Holley, if you are talking about the tool that is like the Yamaha CF tool,
do NOT get it from Schaff.  I purchased one from them that is absolutely the
wrong dimensions to do any good.  I know, I know, modify it, but if you
order it from Pianotek or Yamaha, it works out of the box.

William R. Monroe

Subject: Re: balance hole reamer?