balance hole reamer?

yardbird yardbird at vermontel.net
Tue Mar 18 16:34:37 MST 2008

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 21:52:35 +0000, John Delacour <JD at Pianomaker.co.uk>
wrote:
> I can't imagine ever wanting to _ream_ a balance hole.  If I find
> them too tight I just ease them a little with a smooth awl.  Once you
> get the slightest movement at the balance it will deteriorate faster
> and faster, and enlarging the hole by actually removing wood strikes
> me as a sure way of hastening this process.

An error in nomenclature. Originally sold by Yamaha (prior to 2001) as the
"CF Tool", it doesn't cut wood, it burnishes (compresses) the wood around
the BR hole. It's used as a light fix for temporarily swollen BR holes.

Bill Ballard