key trimming bit

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Sat Mar 15 11:22:58 MST 2008

For those who are curious here are some pictures of my notch cutting set up.
The way the jig is set up the router is mounted underneath the table. The
key is passed over so that the bottom of the bit trims the long side of the
notch and the side of the bit trims the short side of the notch. I used an
"upcut" bit because the router is upside down (so it is really "downcut"
now) to pull chips away from the work to below the table.

Because of the way the key edge passes longitudinally past the bit it
doesn't seem like upcut or downcut would make any difference. We get
breakout no matter which direction we approach the bit.

I am using about a $200 Bosch router so it should be good, but I'll check
the wobble with a dial indicator.

Sounds like warming them first is the solution. This list is fantastic.
Thank you all for sharing so generously.

Dean

Dean May             cell 812.239.3359

PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272

Terre Haute IN  47802