key trimming bit

Rob Mitchell tpa2sfr at pacbell.net
Fri Mar 14 15:50:10 MST 2008

I'm passing this on from Larry Lobel, who just recently did a technical
presentation at our chapter on keytop replacement and trimming.  His
comments:

Yes, Bill Spurlock says (in his June, 1991 Journal article) that carbide
bits can sometimes cause chipping of the plastic, so High Speed Steel often
works better for this application. This might explain Dean's problem.  Other
causes for chipping could be wobble in the router bit due to wear, or poor
quality of the machine.  You can refer him to Bill's October 1991 Journal
article on Using the Table Mounted Router for more info about this.

Larry

Rob

Mitchell Piano Service

www.mitchellpianoservice.com