Steinway M Backcheck Problem

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Sat Mar 15 06:31:27 MST 2008

Al -
You have gotten a good deal of useful information in response to your
question.  The problem is a lot like pizza.  How can something which
seems to have so few ingredients come out so different? Well, without
actually knowing the answer, I'll tell you what I think.
Pinning - It's true that excessively tight pinning in the repetition
lever, hammerflange, and even the jack*, could have a negative impact
on the checking, but you seem to have eliminated that factor.  Of
course, the assumption with regard to the pinning is that the
elevated friction prevents the hammertail from addressing the
backcheck with enough velocity to both a) sufficiently compress the
rep spring, and b) adequately engage the frictive (not a real word)
forces that will counter the restorative impulse of the compressed
rep spring. Of course, depending upon factors mentioned in previous
let-off, the distance the hammer has to travel (downward) before it
even makes initial contact with the backcheck will affect how much
spring compression has to be overcome (to maintain checking).  Once
checking has been accomplished, that pinning friction would seem to
add some resistance to the un-checking impulse of the rep spring.  If
the pinning is not the real problem, reducing  the friction will
undermine other aspects of the action's response.

Roughing tails / backchecks - As you pointed out, you've been able to
accomplish checking without such measures when you do your own
shaping, so, as with easing the pinning friction, this is more likely
a compensation for some other failing in the process.  We could get
microscopic, and examine what such roughing is actually doing (or not
doing), but, when treating the tail thus, you would likely be
accelerating the wear on the buckskin, and roughing the leather would
seem likely to, at best, create an uncontrolled nap (remember nap?)
which could work equally against the initial 'grab' function.

Shape - Obviously, there are MANY different concepts of both tail and
backcheck profile which seem to work.  The point is how the two work
together, and in conjunction with the other factors that create
checking.  One thing that I did not see mentioned, with regard to
shape, is the congruence of the faces of the tail and backcheck,
specifically at the contact surfaces.  I have corrected many such
misalignments, on both new and rebuilt actions.

How backcheck functions - In the context of the current technology
(thus excluding velcro, magnatism, etc.), there is a friction
component,  a spring component, and a mechanical interface component.
- Ideally, friction should be the least active, since it is hard to
limit the action of the friction to one direction.

- The mechanical interface should achieve adequate surface to surface
contact and engage with the least amount of shock, but sufficiently
defined so that it functions consistently, thus the importance of
complementary profiles.  Related to the profiles, the reference above
to "effective tail to backcheck distance" refers to the actual point
at which the two would engage, depending upon their profiles, rather
than the simple measured distances of each extremety (tip of tail and
top of backcheck) from a defined base.

- That leaves the spring function, which is achieved by the combined
deflective behavior of the backcheck wire, the backcheck felt, and
buckskin (or synthetic) covering.   All other things equal, that
combined spring function controls the checking.  For example, you
could, in theory, have a totally rigid 'wire' if the correct quality
felt and skin were employed. The resilient qualities of the 'skin'
material has as much of an effect as the surface 'nap'.  That said,
the newer type backcheck wires, considerably more rigid, have to have
a profound difference on backcheck behavior.  With regard to Bill
Monroe's statement:
>I wouldn't concern myself where the bend is to establish the angle
>as long as the angle is correct.
the effect might be subtle, but I can see where the location of that
bend would, in fact, have an impact.  For example, a wire emerging
from the key stick at the correct angle uses its entire length as a
spring.  A vertically installed-then bent wire creates two shorter,
stiffer 'arms' which may not function in the same way.

Last, but probably most to the point, you said:
>The tails are quit rounded now. Do you think they should be a little flatter?

For sure.  With excessive rounding you have two problems. First, you
reduce the effective contact surface. Second, you lower (increase)
the effective point at which tail and check first contact, since the
check must still be set back enough to clear the 'bump' in the tail,
but now contacts a point further up on the tail than it would were
the tail flatter.

That's my brief response, I guess.

*Theoretically, if jack is pinned too tight, tension of butterfly
spring would have have to be increased, which would have an impact
upon hammer rise, etc.  It's a stretch, perhaps

David Skolnik RPT
Hastings on Hudson, NY
I could be wrong