Steinway M Backcheck Problem

Mike Spalding mike.spalding1 at verizon.net
Sat Mar 15 07:45:07 MST 2008

David,

Good comprehensive summary of the issues, and I agree with you on all
points, particularly the folly of roughing the tails or check leather.
If roughing improves checking, there is an unresolved problem somewhere.

I like to think of the backchecks and tails as a self-locking taper.
This is the same mechanism that keeps the chuck in your drill press.  As
long as there is some amount of friction, no matter how small, there is
a taper angle below which the taper will lock, and above which it will
fall apart.  In the context of backchecks, if the check is laid way back
then adjusted to contact near the tip of the tail, the hammer will
bounce off the check.  Go to the other extreme, with the check near
vertical and contacting up near the shank, and the hammer will check,
but not at a consistent height: the harder you play, the lower it will
check.  Somewhere in between is the optimum, where the hammer will
reliably check,  and will be difficult to push further down.
Admittedly, there are pianos where this sweet spot is not easy to find,
especially in the low bass.

Mike