A remedy for Verdigris

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Fri Mar 14 19:55:05 MST 2008

First issue is that the problem is not in the birdseye: it's in the wood the
holds the bushing.  I suppose you could remove the bushing, seal the wood,
install a new bushing and then repin.  The question is whether the labor
involved (and let's not forget the condition of the repetition spring, the
regulating buttons, the wippen heal cloth) is worth it when compared to the
cost of a new wippen.  On the surface, my argument goes for replacing the
wippen.  The labor versus cost just doesn't pan out to me and with even
minimal risk that recontamination may occur, it doesn't seem worth it.  On a
customer job with any recurring problems falling under your own warranty and
considering the customer is paying for the new wippens, it is definitely not
worth it.  With spec projects, why take the risk.  The cost benefit versus
labor is not significant enough to take any chance.  Anyway, new Renner
parts, in my view, perform better than 70+-year-old Steinway parts under the
best conditions anyway.

It's a reasonable idea that might make sense in rare situations--though I'm
not sure what those would be--, but in general, not worth the effort and too
many potential liabilities.  At least that's my view.  If you're not
sentimental about original designs, there's certainly no reason to get
sentimental about original wippens with verdigris.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com