Bass Bridge Position-upright

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Mar 12 08:18:07 MST 2008

> The money isn't there in the top end but the quality often is.

At least it was quality a hundred years ago. Now it's a ghost
of it's former potential.

> Occasionally someone is willing to put 12K or so to restore an old
> piece, then you got a job.

Not in Wichita Kansas, you don't. I've talked to a thousand
people about doing a real resurrection on the treasured family
upright, and in thirty years, have yet to run into anyone
willing to entertain spending more than a couple of thousand
and yes, that of course includes refinishing. Refinishing is
always the first and often the only consideration. There have
been enough piano folks around willing to do minimal work for
maximum return, that the owners will usually find someone to
take their money and produce the illusion that the piano has
been "fixed".

>If I weren't a tech and I inherited an old
> upright along with xhundred thousand dollars from Grandma, I just might
> be compelled to restore her old piano.

Here, if Grandma had xhundred thousand dollars to bequeath,
she also bloody well had either a grand, or a Whitney spinet.

>The wife doesn't
> want that old thing in the house unless it's restored.

And when she hears the price, instantly consigns it to the
Salvation Army or church for a write off of 1500% of it's
"sentimental" value.

> I'm not looking
> for those jobs, but they do come along.
> Fenton

Should one come along, I'd do it too, but I'm not holding my
breath.
Ron N