Bass Bridge Position-upright

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Tue Mar 11 15:56:24 MST 2008

At 12:31 -0700 11/3/08, Delwin D Fandrich wrote:

>I love seeing these old things. The old upright has long been
>maligned and discounted as not being a "real" piano. Yet with some
>decent design work they can, and do, rival grands with scales of
>comparable length.

Quite so.  A few weeks ago I bought an old Kirkman 4'2" "Vertical
Iron Grand" in on eBay in pretty poor shape.  It had an under-damper
action but this, I discovered when it arrived, was a pretty mediocre
affair (probably by Langer) probably retrofitted in the 1930s.
Nevertheless it works and once I had brought it up to pitch it
astounded me with its power and quality and clarity of tone.  In
spite of the short vertical bass strings, provided they are not
sounded individually, the bass is terrific.  I simply can't stay away
from this piano.

Last week I discovered another smaller one on eBay, certainly not
worth restoring but with good ivory and an original Kirkman
French-made under-damper action.  This I will restore and fit to the
good one.  It will cost me a round trip of 180 miles with the cattle
trailer and the stool will pay for the petrol.

The soundboard grain runs horizontally and the bars are vertical.
Today I looked at the stringing scale (12 d/c singles, 12 bichords, 5
covered trichords on the bass bridge) and discover that the tension
of the steel strings is a pretty even 165 lbs reducing in the high
treble to about 150 lbs.  It has agraffes all the way through.

It's very rare for a piano to thrill me as this one does and I will
have to assess the results of each stage in its restoration to be
sure of not losing or masking the qualities it has.  Certainly there
will be no need to make any changes to the soundboard or the scale
but the wire and the hammers will need to be watched carefully.

Although the present 1930s hammers look cheap and nothing special,
they are producing the best sound from the piano.  Whoever fitted
them used 1/4" shanks, which are like tree-trunks, but again the
sound is incredible.  I took a left-over hammer-head from a quite
heavy set of Abel Wurzen AA hammers and fitted it in what would be
its proper position in the scale (note 68) on another piano.  On this
piano the hammer was far too big in this position and the result is
striking : it produces a very pure sound but of far less power than
the original hammer for a given effort, and even with more effort it
will not produce the brilliancy of the original hammer.  I then moved
the new head to a position lower in the piano where it matched in
size the original hammers and hey presto! it is hardly
distinguishable from its neighbours, besides which it has a 7/16"
shank.  The original hammer it replaced I moved to the higher
position and sure enough I got the same pure weak sound.  So I must
be sure to fit hammers that are small like the originals, and pretty
dense also.  And the whole question of hammer weight would make an
interesting discussion.

Now there is nothing unorthodox (for 1890) about this piano.  What
gives it its fundamental quality is 1. a good soundboard 2. good
string scaling 3. undoubtedly the 45 mm. bridge, 4. The use of
agraffes, which I do really consider superior, and 5. quite likely
the vertical stringing!  But what gives it the elusive qualities that
give the player the feeling he's playing a good grand I have yet to
discover.  I have four or five vertical strung pianos of different
makes and about the same size that will be useful points of
comparison when they are all up and running.

JD