Steinway model Z weak bass

piano57 at insightbb.com piano57 at insightbb.com
Sat Mar 8 20:16:13 MST 2008

David,

On vertical pianos that have those lids that open from the side, like some Wurlitzers, I don't even try to take the hinge pin out or the lid off. Well, I did once and that was enough for me.  I bring a good sized dowel with pins on each end and use it as a lid prop. A pedal rod/dowel will work in a pinch, but the stick should really be a bit longer.  The dowel rod works with the hardware on the Wurlitzers with that style lid--I haven't had the pleasure of working on any Steinways of that style (whew!) so I'm not familiar with the hardware.

If you want, you all can get in a huff about hammer position in tuning the low bass with this arrangement.  The tuning hasn't suffered, pins haven't bent and all is well, or as well as it can be with a Wurlitzer console.

Barbara Richmond, RPT
not fooling with those long hinge pins
near Peoria, IL