Unstable pianos

Alan Barnard pianotuner at embarqmail.com
Sat Mar 8 15:28:43 MST 2008

I've got a little Wurly spinet in the shop, here, vintage 50's. The block seems sound--it was a little soft so I gave it a dose of CA. I find no problems with the case, the plate, the soundboard, or anything else "physically" wrong with the piano.

Yet it is the worst piano I've ever encountered vis-a-vis holding a tune. Not that it sounds real great when IN tune, mind you, but I'd like to get a few bucks for it and can't, in good conscience sell it this way--even if my scruples didn't bother me, I sure don't want this piano haunting me as it surely will if I sell it locally.

Any ideas on other things to look at or do, here?

Alan Barnard
Salem, MO