FW: Unstable pianos

Michael Spreeman m_spreeman at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 8 15:43:45 MST 2008

Alan, Locate the nearest shredder possible and and make a decision to enter either the piano or your conscience because the piano will never be tunable or stay in tune.Short of that, donate it to a relative you don't like.

                Michael Spreeman http://www.spreemanpianoinnovations.com

From: pianotuner at embarqmail.comTo: pianotech at ptg.orgSubject: Unstable pianosDate: Sat, 8 Mar 2008 16:28:43 -0600

I've got a little Wurly spinet in the shop, here, vintage 50's. The block seems sound--it was a little soft so I gave it a dose of CA. I find no problems with the case, the plate, the soundboard, or anything else "physically" wrong with the piano.

Yet it is the worst piano I've ever encountered vis-a-vis holding a tune. Not that it sounds real great when IN tune, mind you, but I'd like to get a few bucks for it and can't, in good conscience sell it this way--even if my scruples didn't bother me, I sure don't want this piano haunting me as it surely will if I sell it locally.

Any ideas on other things to look at or do, here?

Alan BarnardSalem, MO