Wives tales ... violin tuning

Jlmatt at aol.com Jlmatt at aol.com
Sun Jun 29 13:05:14 MDT 2008

I think the only way a violonist could play in ET is by putting frets on  the
fingerboard.
 But that would defeat the purpose of the instrument. Maybe you mean  he is
tuning his open strings with an electronic tuner, however as he plays  he will
still play where the pure intervals are, and when he plays in ensemble,  he
will instinctively adjust the pitches in pure intervals. You call a pure 5th
crappy but to my ear it really is beautiful.
And when the professors say "pianos are never in tune" they are right in a
way, because what we tuners do is find happy compromises for those 88 fix
pitches to get along together. The beauty of an instrument on which you can
adjust the pitch as you play is that you can really play in tune, in the moment,
in the context. For example you will play a C at a certain height in pitch when
 it's a fundamental, but if it's a 3rd you will certainly put it a lot lower
instinctively. But if that same C is the leading tone of Db, you will then
instinctively put it a lot higher. That's expressive intonation. ET is a
compromise.

Jean-Luc

In a message dated 6/29/2008 8:02:30 A.M. Mountain Daylight Time,