Cracked Apron

John Ross jrpiano at win.eastlink.ca
Fri Jun 20 07:50:02 MDT 2008

First thing I do, is tune to pitch.
If the piano can't go to pitch without string breakage, then, none of the other work should be done.
If there is string breakage, then a restring is indicated. For 100 cents down, bring to pitch in one step, then tune again. For an older piano, with rusty strings, I would not overpull.
If you restring, be sure to ream, then use new oversize pins.
If the customer thinks that the cost is too much, then do strings this year, next year do the hammers and dampers.
Mind you they might prefer to do the key job after the strings, as this 'looks' better.
John Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
jrpiano at win.eastlink.ca