Cracked Apron

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Fri Jun 20 08:51:16 MDT 2008

Matthew Todd wrote:
> Hi List,

> Before I do any work, should I begin with giving it several pitch raises
> and tunings to see if it'll hold?  The problem with that is that several
> of the keys do not work right because they need new bushings.

If you want to try tuning it before repairing the action, you could just
pluck the strings of the non-functional keys. You aren't going for a
concert tune, just an assessment of tunability.  You'll still get a feel
of the block and you haven't wasted any time on repairs which may be
superfluous.

--
Conrad Hoffsommer, RPT - Keyboard Technician
1-(563)-387-1204 // Fax 1-(563)-387-1076

You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be
used against you.