Bechstein B hammer rake / more thoughts

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sat Jun 21 10:02:47 MDT 2008

Hi Stéphane / Dean

I'm going to drop the horizontal shank bit for a while, because any
justification there is for this takes the discussion off in a direction
all its own, which for the moment hasnt my attention.

Lets just start with this basic formula for bore length thats been
tossed around here forever namely String height - Hammershank center pin
height. If that formula is valid, then any hammer bored to the
resulatant length is going to leave the shank fairly close to horizontal
unless the rake of the hammer is quite large.  Do we agree on that much
? Yet the Bechstein I'm doing now has its shanks at the hammer molding
about 6 mm higher then horizontal at impact. Ok they are old... but no
way can they have lost 6 mm of total length or anything close to it.
Lowest bass hammer maybe has lost 1 mm and the highest treble perhaps 2
mm. This ends up just conflicting too much with the bore length formula
given.

Indeed.. if you stop to think about it for a second,  any requirement
for the hammer to be perpendicular to both hammer shank AND string at
impact puts the hammershank on the string plane, i.e. significantly
higher then String height - Hammershank center pin would yeild.

So where does that formula come from and why hasnt this been tossed out
before and replaced with something more close to whats needed ?

We are using the term rake in the same way so thats not a problem
Stéphane. And yes I understand a hammer that is glued perpendicular to
the shank and is of appropriate length so that when it touches the
string the shank is parallel to the string means the hammer is also
perpendicular to the string. Its just that doing this conflicts with the
string height formula I've been working with for like ages... and thats
whats got me scratching my head.

On this Bechstein.. the difference between the two protocols yeilds
around a 4 mm difference in bore length as far as I can tell.  Thats a
lot I'm sure you'll agree.  Yes ?

Keep bouncing thoughts here you two... I obviously stumbled on a rather
large hole in what I thought I had already clear in my mind.

Cheers
RicB

        RicB  wrote :
        I'm not quite sure how you could use that trick to get an
        accurate shank parallel to string plane at impact measurement.
        At least not one that is any more accurate then the measurement
        above.  One way or another some small degree of error seems
        inevitable I suppose. My main querrie is really this shank at
        horizontal bit. If I drop that requirement, then I'd be able to
        get the hammer perpendicular to both the string and shank at
        impact if the action cavity allows for it I susppose... or at
        least pretty close to it. And that would account for a backwards
        rake yes?

    Here I don't understand.  If the hammer core is perpendicular to the
    string plane and perpendicular to the shank, then the shank is
    obviously parallel to the string plane, not ?  and per definition,
    the hammer perpendicular to the shank means that the rake is 90°,
    not ?  Or do we use different meanings for the word rake ?  I don't
    call this a backwards rake, but rather improperly no rake.  If the
    string plane angles up a little, then the shank will be
    overcentering a little bit, if we agree that overcentering means
    that the shank will be positively angled with the horizontal plane.
    Did I mix up things ?

    Best regards.

    Stéphane Collin.