Length of Sharps

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Thu Jun 19 06:51:45 MDT 2008

Paul

We have a '32 L and the sharps are 3 5/8  and also a '24 L with 3 5/8" as
well.  Sorry, nothing from the 40's around here!

Paul
Univ. of Nebraska

"Paul Chick" <tune4u at fmwildblue.com>
Sent by: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org
06/18/2008 07:38 PM
Please respond to
Pianotech List <pianotech at ptg.org>

"Pianotech at Ptg.Org" <pianotech at ptg.org>
cc

Subject
Length of Sharps

A set of keys from a 1942 Steinway L arrived in the shop for new whites
and sharps.  All the original tops are GONE!...that includes the sharps.
What I can find to measure is 3 ½”.  I checked on a 1969 Steinway M and
they measure 3 5/8”.  Ebony sharps from the vendors measure 3 ¾”.
Steinway  & Sons were not helpful.  Does anyone have an early 1940’s L
handy to measure them for me?  My concern is the distance between the back
of the sharp to the fall board.  All I have is the keys….Please!!
Thank you to all.
BTW. Thank you for your responses to my pin block question.  I’ll take the
advice(s) to the piano and determine the best approach, then report back
to you.
Paul C