Length of Sharps

Paul Chick tune4u at fmwildblue.com
Fri Jun 20 08:39:49 MDT 2008

Subject: Re: Length of Sharps

Paul
We have a '32 L and the sharps are 3 5/8  and also a '24 L with 3 5/8" as well.  Sorry, nothing from the 40's around here!
Paul
Univ. of Nebraska
"Paul Chick" <tune4u at fmwildblue.com>
Sent by: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org

"Pianotech at Ptg.Org" <pianotech at ptg.org>

cc

Subject

Length of Sharps

A set of keys from a 1942 Steinway L arrived in the shop for new whites and sharps.  All the original tops are GONE!...that includes the sharps.  What I can find to measure is 3 ½”.  I checked on a 1969 Steinway M and they measure 3 5/8”.  Ebony sharps from the vendors measure 3 ¾”.  Steinway  & Sons were not helpful.  Does anyone have an early 1940’s L handy to measure them for me?  My concern is the distance between the back of the sharp to the fall board.  All I have is the keys….Please!!
Thank you to all.
BTW. Thank you for your responses to my pin block question.  I’ll take the advice(s) to the piano and determine the best approach, then report back to you.
Paul C
Thanks to all that have responded to my 2 inquiries.

After reading your posts, I went back to the key sticks and measured the remnants of the old sharps footprint to come up with an average size:  3 ½”.

The original pin block in the Steinway L will be used.  Your responses gave me reason to measure the block again and come up with my decision: 3/0 x 2 3/8” blued will be used.

Thanks to all responders.

Paul C