Length of Sharps

Mike Morvan keymaestro at verizon.net
Thu Jun 19 05:46:42 MDT 2008

List,
    I second Ron's post, no two keyboards of that era are the same, they are
all cut by hand and it's anyone's guess. A S&S "L" is not a large grand that
they would have put 3 11/16" or 3 3/4" sharps on. If you put 3 1/2" sharps
on they would be fine and no one would know the difference if they were
supposed to be a fraction of an inch longer. I would be more concerned with
reestablishing the proper relationship between the height of the sharps to
the naturals. A lot of people that recover their own keys (or just uncover
them in this case) don't realize that their is a geometry thing going on
that must be preserved as they slide the key through the tablesaw. Sharps at
3.5" in length and a difference of 1/2" in height of the finished naturals
and sharps should get you where you want to be. We have a few slideshows on
our website on building up the tops of naturals and sharps that can help if
need be. Good luck.  Mike

Blackstone Valley piano
Michael A. Morvan
76 Sutton Street