Length of Sharps

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Jun 18 19:10:23 MDT 2008

> A set of keys from a 1942 Steinway L arrived in the shop for new whites
> and sharps.  All the original tops are GONE!...that includes the
> sharps.  What I can find to measure is 3 ½”.  I checked on a 1969
> Steinway M and they measure 3 5/8”.  Ebony sharps from the vendors
> measure 3 ¾”.  Steinway  & Sons were not helpful.  Does anyone have an
> early 1940’s L handy to measure them for me?  My concern is the distance
> between the back of the sharp to the fall board.  All I have is the
> keys….Please!!

Very chancy, Paul. They're hand made - every single one, so
why would the sharp length be any more uniform than anything
else in them? At best, keys in the frame, in the piano, with
fall board in place gives you a pencil mark, but you wouldn't
be posting if you had access to the piano and action frame. So
who does? I'd ask the sender-o-the keys (who demonstrably does
have access, or at least has had) to measure from the bottom
front of the center rail pin to the front of the fall board
with everything in place for a reality check before proceeding.

Belt *and* suspenders,
Ron N