set letoff to get acceptable aftertouch?

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Tue Jun 17 16:54:11 MDT 2008

As I said.... beg to differ.  Aftertouch refers to the whole escapement
process in the Erard/Herz grand. You might as well call the Bluthner
Patent actions escapement a kind of aftertouch.  They themselve did not,
and still dont.  The Yamaha, Kawaii and Steinway Academies and field
seminars draw this distinction between the grand and the vertical, as
does just about every book I've read on the action regulation.

With respect, we are wise to keep our P's separated from our Q's.
Throwing grand aftertouch and upright escapement into the same box can
lead to lots of confusion for those starting out on their first grand
regulation. Its a different puppy. And, as said in my response to Dean.
Bobbling isolated from blocking in a grand is very difficult to achieve
from a jack escapement perspective. Yet easy as pie in a vertical.

Forgot to give a heads up on Deans comment about lost motion in the
vertical. Good point indeed Dean.

Cheers
RicB

    Ok, ok, perhaps too broad a generalization :-), but a really, really
    common cause. And call it what you like, Ric, the clearance of the
    jack from the butt in an upright is as much aftertouch as the
    distance the jack travels after escapement in a grand, and can be
    felt in the key with a sensitive touch. And can be regulated by the
    same "family" of aftertouch regulations. With respect...:-)