set letoff to get acceptable aftertouch?

paulrevenkojones at aol.com paulrevenkojones at aol.com
Tue Jun 17 19:18:42 MDT 2008

 Quit begging! Just differ. The technical definition of aftertouch as the "distance the jack travels after escapement" (grands) or "the distance the jack has traveled" (uprights) is as easily applied and regulated for in both grands and uprights.? They are both the "after escapement" portion of key travel. The analogs between grand and vertical escapement/aftertouch (distance) are plain and useful whatever academy you're citing. The physical analog between the knuckle and hammer butt are clear, and the differences are, too. So too the family of regulations for them, although with different preferred emphases and order--key height, key travel, blow distance, and let-off. Other fine differences can be made with other regulations. Both the similarities and differences are useful tools to have. Too much emphasis on the differences to the exclusion of the similarities does a disservice to the Academy as a whole.

Wishing you well!

Paul