Original pin block

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Tue Jun 17 09:16:57 MDT 2008

>I was referring to your suggestion (and Jon Page's) about increasing
>length of the pin to 2 1/2".  The original Steinway pins I'm
>extracting are 2 3/8".  The "typo" in the original text is probably
>an HTML conversion problem.  I still believe you should stay with
>the original length when increasing the diameter for the reasons
>stated.  People can, however, do whatever they want.

I install a 2 1/2" pin on single string notes , as I said and 2 3/8"
on the rest. Reason being the tension and width of the coil. The
larger diameter single string core wire can leave a lesser amount of
pin in the block if you keep the bottom of the coil off the plate
consistent with the treble.

In general, the single strings' pins become loose before the other
pins (YMMV), so this extra length gives them the edge they need. I do
this on new blocks too.

Mic'ing the pins helps for even torque too, with the narrower
diameters in the treble.
There can be four or five different sizes of pins within a set;
that's .001" or .002" either
side of the spec diameter. I discard the out-of-round ones.
--

Regards,

Jon Page