Original pin block

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Tue Jun 17 07:13:01 MDT 2008

You can usually just go up one size in this case.  If I am not replacing the
block I usually ream with a #3 reamer and then install Low-Torque pins that
are 3 ½  in the block portion.  I prefer to ream as it gets to some new wood
and often the tuning holes can be slightly burned when you extract the old
pins.

You’ve received a couple of suggestion for going to 2 ½” pins as well as up
a size and I think you need to be cautious about that unless you are
reaming.  If you don’t ream then the #3 (or larger) pin will extend deeper
into the hole originally drilled for a #2 pin but was not reached and
therefore expanded by the original pin.  That can make the pin very tight at
the bottom of the hole and can create some rendering problems.  So, if going
up in size in the original block I believe you should stick with the
original length.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com