Original pin block

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Jun 17 10:00:53 MDT 2008

> So, if going up in size in the original block I believe you should stick
> with the original length.

I agree. I wouldn't put a longer pin into an un-reamed
existing block, for the reasons stated.

Pin feel and control is what prompted me to try a composite
block originally.

An aside observation: Even with a 2-1/2" pin in a 1.6" thick
block, the block is a half inch thicker than it needs to be to
hold the pin. So almost a third of the thickness of the block
is a waste of good maple. Then, particularly on the C and D,
the blocks are so much wider than the pin fields, that close
to half of the width is wasted too. More good maple put to no
good use. Seems a shame.

Ron N