Fuel surcharge?

J Patrick Draine jpdraine at gmail.com
Sat Jun 7 07:30:46 MDT 2008

Wednesday (June 4) had several auto/gas related stories (front page &
business section). I'll type out a few pertinent lines (and hope the
copyright debate doesn't revive!):
[The writer consulted with  Consumer Reports senior auto engineer for his
figures] "I crunched the numbers this week to see how much more expensive
these big vehicles had become. The answer is pretty simple: a lot more
expensive.
[Calculated over 5 years ownership, at today's gas prices, probably lower
annual mileage than we put on our vehicles] "While the F-250 costs $100,000
and a fully loaded F-150 -- the better-known, smaller Ford pickup -- costs
about $70,000, a Ford Focus still costs less than $40,000 over five years. A
Honda Civic does, too. A Toyota Prius costs only a little more. A Subaru
Outback station wagon runs $50,000 or so." ... "So choosing a F-250 over a
Focus is like volunteering for a 20 percent pay cut."

So one of the questions is, do we really need a big muscular pickup? If one
is moving pianos, or traveling on rutted dirt roads, I'm sure the answer is
yes.
I can fit everything I need in my Prius (and carry piano actions if I pack
extra carefully). And I'm pretty sure the NYTimes numbers weren't for
business use; I average 50 mpg (45 mpg in the dead of winter; 55 mpg in the
summer), times almost 20K miles per year, times roughly 50 cents per mile
tax deduction, makes for about a $10,000 annual tax deduction.
Patrick Draine