Fuel surcharge?

Matthew Todd toddpianoworks at att.net
Sat Jun 7 06:42:47 MDT 2008

I recently purchased $2,000 of furniture from a store, and they charged me a $50 fuel surcharge for delivery.  They obviously wanted that extra buck from my pocket.  Everytime I see companies do a fuel surcharge it irritates me, so why would I want to turn around and do the same thing to my customers?  A local bottled water carrier charges an $11 surcharge.  Now get this....they may have 20 customers within a 10 block radius, and they'll charge each one the 11 bucks!!  It is just a way for companies to make us pay for what is ultimately their responsibility!

  When a client calls inquiring about our tuning rate how many of us would actually say, "Yes Mrs. Jones my standard tuning rate is $xxx, plus tax, plus fuel, which is $xx", and in the back of your mind you're thinking, "lol, what a sucker!"

  I personally will charge a little more for clients in different zip codes.  But personally, if I decide to service a particular area, I need to bite the bullet and not be so picky.  Heck, if that's the case, the customer should charge us for the air we breathe in their home, and for using their piano bench!

  If I ever find myself going to a fuel surcharge, maybe I need to reevaluate how I am living and see if there are any frivolities or luxuries I can do without.  But that is just me, and before any of you start ripping my head off....it is just MY OPINION!  There, I said it, and I feel better already.

  Have a beautiful day!
  Matthew

Phil Bondi <phil at philbondi.com> wrote:
  Mike, since May 1, I've added a 'trip charge' to my bill.
I've had a few questions, and no one has complained.

My charge is based on zip code..how far a particular
client's zip code is from mine(one way), and I figured .xx X
those miles(based on google maps) to reach my figures. If
I'm servicing more than 1 client in that zip code on that
day, both get charged the same amount. Someone in the same
zip code as me still gets charged a minimal amount. If I
turn the key of my truck to get to you, you're being charged.

Mike, I feel like I've been a 'good guy' long enough..I did
alot of research and some soul-searching to come to this
conclusion:

-When I last raised my rates(May '04), I was by far the 2nd
most expensive tech in my area.
-When I raised my rates, the price of a gallon of regular
was 1.759.
-I can't continue to hemorrhage cash into the
truck..someone's gotta pay.

So far this works for me.

-Phil Bondi(Fl)